Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"You're a Uni-what!?!?"

Soooo many times, when I tell people I am a Unitarian Universalist they just say … “A Uni-what!?!?” And then they asked me what we believe in and I say that we are “people of faith with open minds, loving hearts, and helping hands.” Even though we don’t all believe in the same higher being, whether it is a God, a Goddess, or no God at all, we are all searching for what is true in the world. We treat all living beings with kindness and we are striving to make the world a better place to live.

Wikipedia defines Unitarian Universalism (UUism) as a theologically liberal (bet everyone sees how I got my blog name now lol) religion characterized by its support for a "free and responsible search for truth and meaning." Unitarian Universalists do not share a creed; rather, they are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth. Unitarian Universalists draw on many different theological sources and have a wide range of beliefs and practices.

Alright, so since some of this explanation probably didn’t settle many, I decided I would You Tube Unitarian Universalism to see what would come up. This video entitled “What Unitarian Universalists believe" is a puppet show done by two Sunday school kids in their U.U. church. I just thought it was cute and gave a fairly broad look at what we believe… Take a look and enjoy :) !!

3 comments:

  1. I like the puppet show ;) You did a great job explaining your beliefs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!
    I thought it was interesting that Prof. Smith commented on the fact that many people show up as UU on belief quizzes. But when you think about it, it makes perfect sense!
    Can't wait for Prof. Smith to show this in class today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm glad there is another UU in the class :) lol thanks!!

    ReplyDelete